Scoliosis services offered in East Point, GA

Scoliosis services offered in East Point, GA

If you or a loved one has a curved spine, pain, or disability due to scoliosis, rely on PT Works in East Point, Georgia. Teresa Bristol, PT, Cert DN, DPT, and her outstanding team offer highly effective scoliosis treatments to reduce pain and the risk of making the problem worse. Call the office to learn more about scoliosis treatments, or use the online scheduler today.

Scoliosis Q&A

What is scoliosis?

Scoliosis is a spine condition in which the spine curves more than usual. It may appear as an S or C shape with rotation of your vertebrae. Minor cases of scoliosis might not cause symptoms or affect mobility. But if the condition gets worse, it can become problematic. See the PT Works team at the first sign of spine pain or disability.

What are the symptoms of scoliosis?

You have scoliosis if a spinal curvature measures 10 degrees or more on X-rays. Scoliosis symptoms include:

  • Visible spinal curve
  • A difference in shoulder height
  • A difference in hip position or height
  • Shoulder blade irregularities
  • Head that isn’t centered with your body
  • Asymmetry in your ribs, arms, hips, shoulders, or back

Sometimes you don’t notice any symptoms of scoliosis, especially if you have a mild case.

What are the risk factors for scoliosis?

In more than 80% of scoliosis cases, the cause isn’t known. In the other 20% of cases, it develops because of spinal disc degeneration, arthritis, osteoporosis, or genetic conditions. If you have a family member with scoliosis, your risk of developing it increases.

How is scoliosis diagnosed?

A PT Works specialist diagnoses scoliosis after completing a physical exam, reviewing your medical history, and evaluating X-rays. They determine if you have scoliosis or another spinal condition and how severe the irregularity is. Sometimes they recommend MRIs or CT scans.

How is scoliosis treated?

The PT Works team can recommend one or more of many treatments for scoliosis, including:

  • Bracing
  • Spinal manipulation
  • Strength exercises
  • Stretches
  • Spinal manipulation
  • Schroth techniques
  • Surgery

The Schroth Method is a nonsurgical scoliosis treatment that uses customized exercises to restore a curved spine to a more natural position. This treatment elongates, stabilizes, and de-rotates the spine using cutting-edge methods.

You might need several scoliosis treatments to get the best results with the lowest chance of long-term complications.

If you or your child is a candidate for scoliosis surgery, the PT Works team offers specialist referrals. They work with you to personalize a treatment plan best suited to your needs, lifestyle, and treatment preferences. They follow up with you to ensure exceptional results.

Call PT Works to schedule a scoliosis consultation or book an evaluation online today.